Sunday, October 5, 2008

NYT Crossword, 0928

I was going along so well, that I was really upset with myself for not being able to finish. It was like when you're cruising down the highway making great time and then whammo! road construction not only eats up all your gained time but adds on another hour. Ugh! I did put lots of question marks next to the clues - so let's see what kind of stretch they really were.

The Question marks:
  • X out = OMIT (Now, I understand omit to be a passive form of forgetting, whereas to X something out suggests actively excluding. I suppose the definition is broad enough to encompass general non-inclusion, but I still think of this as synonymous with forgetting not excluding).
  • Altercation = SETTO (OK, there was actually an entry for 'set to' and it does fit altercation, so I guess I have to give this one to the puzzler.)
  • Battery part = TEST (I guess this is referring to a 'battery of tests', whereas I kept looking for some word shorter than anode or cathode. A little hokey in my opinion.)
  • A large number = RAFTS (OK, so I was right - no one uses this anymore. I found the appropriate definitinon at Online Etymology.)
  • Score just before victory, maybe = ADIN (Presumably 'ad in' - but I've never heard of this. Ah . . . it's a tennis term, short for 'advantage in'. Not a big tennis guy.)
Regular stuff:
  • City near tel Aviv = LOD
  • Vinegar: prefix = ACETO (I'm not convinced this is actually a 'prefix', but it is used with vinegar)
  • Orbital point = APSIS (I so wanted 'focus', but this is more correct for the clue, so the puzzler wins.)
  • W.W. II gun = STEN (I guess right but now I know it is a submachine gun of British make.)
  • A leveret is a young one = HARE (This is the kind of educational stuff I'm looking for in a crossword.)
  • Like some eggs or cloth = SHIRRED (Rex Parker didn't like this one, but it seems good, if obscure, to me.)
  • City near Milan = LODI
  • St. Louis' ______ Bridge = EADS (I hate these localized clues, and I think I've even driven on this bridge.)
  • Rusty on the diamond = STAUB (Sounded vaguely familiar once I figured it out, a hold over from my baseball crazy youth, I suppose.)
  • Utah's lily = SEGO (I've lived in Utah, but this one got me - it's not sage, huh?)
  • Wahine's dance = HULA (I found you a video for this one.)
  • Hops kiln = OAST
  • Whine = PULE (I hate whiners!)

P.S.
The best clue was: Kind of difference, oxymoronically = SAME

P.P.S.
Second week in row: Mormons, initially = LDS

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone ever thank you for providing clues to these puzzles? I carry this puzzle around for a couple of days trying to finish on my own, usually going crazy bc one or two sections just won't come together. Finally, when at the end of my rope, I go to your blog to see what you posted. We are usually stumped on the same ones, which, as my PsychEd prof once told me, "If the majority of the students get the same question wrong, there was something wrong with the question!"

So, thanks so much for sharing your wisdom and your answers!