Tuesday, October 14, 2008

NYT Crossword, 1005

This one was a killer puzzle. There's too much I didn't know to list it all, so I'll just hit the highlights:
  • Seafood dishes = PAELLAS (Doesn't look that appetizing to me.)
  • Lid attachment = LASH (?? - it must be referring to the eyelid)
  • What "matar" means on an Indian menu = PEAS (Not a big Indian food fan - I don't curry the favor of curry.)
  • Great Trek trekker = BOER (This one rang a bell once I got it.)
  • Bygone P.M. with a palindromic name = UNU (U Nu, Who knew?)
  • "Ville d'Avray" painter = COROT (Nothing stellar, but his stuff looks nice.)
  • Home of the Cadillac Ranch = AMARILLO (You never know what Route 66 will throw at you.)
  • Thomas Gray and others = ELEGISTS (He even has his own website!)
  • Sport for rikishi = SUMO (Fat guys, uncomfortable underwear... what else can you say?)
  • "Killer" program = APP (Nerd lingo that even I don't know!)
  • Small birds, in British lingo = TOMTITS (short for Tom titmouse)
  • Forerunner of the KGB = OGPU (The USSR was so good with acronyms, almost rivaled the USA)

Like I said... tons of stuff could be here, but this is the best of the lot.

No comments: